REHABILITATION FOR THE CITY OF TUCSON
The historic Union Pacific Railroad Depot site was ranked as one of the most significant, and most endangered, historic resource sites in Southern Arizona. The rehabilitation and re-purposing of the Depot complex as a mixed use activity hub at once saved these important cultural resources and anchored the revitalization of the eastern end of downtown Tucson. The project includes Amtrak operations, a modern streetcar connection, inter-city and inner-city bus facilities, pedestrian and bike facilities, shuttles, parking, a transportation museum, a historic locomotive, a restaurant, retail, and commercial office space.
Originally built in 1907 in the Mission Revival style the Depot was expanded and transformed in 1941 with a streamlined Spanish Colonial style. Over the next fifty years the buildings suffered numerous intrusive remodels that buried original spaces and finishes below drywall, drop ceilings, and shag carpet. Poster Mirto McDonald led the effort to carefully peel back the layers and restore the key public spaces - building exterior, colonnades, breezeway, and passenger lobby – to their historic 1941 character. An adaptive reuse treatment was used for less public interior spaces that protected the historic shell while accommodating modern functional needs with contemporary interiors architecture.
Location : Tucson, Arizona
Year of Completion : 2003
Size : 23,000 SF
Cost : $6,000,000